Saturday, August 11, 2012

What I'm working on

As I explained here I'm busy working on challenges for our Quilt Show in early September. Although I can't show you much, I thought I could explain what I'm up to.
The Challenge Quilt is to celebrate our club's 30th anniversary. We need to create a quilt that "means 30th anniversary" to us. These elements may be included : the gemstone is Pearl, the flower is Lily, the colour is Green. It must measure 50 cm across the top and hang down 1 metre, and you must be a club member. I think the standard format of sizes will make a lovely display. Don't think there is any harm in showing you the fabric that I have in my stash that I think will be perfection on the back!
I don't often enter club challenges - this is only the 3rd one I've ever entered in my quilting life. 
My first (in 2006) was to make a quilt inspired by a page from a magazine (we were given the page) - I should never have handed it in cos I wasn't happy with it. However - I used it 3 years later as the base for a journal quilt and just fabric collaged over it :
My second challenge quilt was made for a "Go Green" challenge in 2009. A very good friend of mine had just started a dressmaking & design business so I made a quilt for her that fit the challenge - she loves green.
I got a merit award for this one and it hangs in her office.
Didn't realise until I researched those dates that I seem to manage a quilt challenge every 3 years!!
The other club Challenge for this year is to make a house or building : it must be made using fabric on the outside but you can use some other material to give the house stability. It should be a 3D mini version of a house or building that fits within a 12" space. Voting will be by gold coin donation from visitors to the exhibition and the person who gets the most money will win the challenge.
Check out the house challenge that Kathy York co-ordinated which originated with Judy Coates Perez' lovely dream/bird houses.
Artist Village co-ordinated by Kathy York
Plenty of inspiration there. More recently the artists village was exhibited at the International Quilt Festival Long Beach. I wonder what our village will look like at the show.....
UPDATE ON SUNDAY:: seem's everyone is making houses. Jane LaFazio has just posted about houses (fabric and paper) at the Sketchbook challenge.
And how am I going to get both of these challenges completed in 1 short month? Once again I'm utilising micro-movements, and it's also amazing how much planning you can get done at 4.30am in the morning when you wake with 'creative brain' ;-)
Hope you are getting some creative time this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love that Artist Village... have been wanting to draw or make a house, but haven't got to it yet....as usual I have too many things on my want to make list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...